In 1886, San Antonio architect, Alfred Giles won the bid to design the Presidio County Courthouse. A statue of Lady Justice stands atop the central dome of the building. A celebratory grand ball was held on January 1, 1887 when the structure was completed. The building was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1964 and has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1977. A careful renovation of the historic building was completed in 2001.